30 days of prayer

1/13 :: the surpassing greatness...

read philippians 3:7-11

leading people to a more intimate relationship with God, for His glory. that has been our mission statement ever since we felt led to come up with one. it is a staggering concept to try and wrap your mind around… intimacy with God. how is it possible to get so close to the creator of the universe that it falls into the category of intimacy? the answer is in this text… “not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ - the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.” at one point intimacy with God was impossible, but Christ has made it not only a possibility, but a reality.

do you treasure this? is your relationship with God the most important thing in your life? can you say, like paul, that compared to knowing Christ everything else is, um, rubbish?

many of us struggle to say that we feel just like paul. we want to, but an honest evaluation of our hearts reveals something different. we are all on this journey towards intimacy, and all real
journeys take time. we are moving forward as a church, and are committing our lives to God and to one another. intimacy will come as we mature, and we hope to never arrive at a resting point. that is why our mission statement reads like it does. “more intimate”… there is always a deeper level of intimacy possible with God. and he is bringing us there… together.


† what are the biggest obstacles in your life that keep you from a more intimate relationship with God? ask him to show you, and pray against these things so that nothing stands in your way.

2 Comments:

  • In verse 9, I noticed that "the" in "the Law" was italicized, which means it was added to smooth out the Greek to English translation. It made me pause and read it as:

    "not having a righteousness derived from Law, but that whish is through faith in Christ..."

    I think a lot of times I read these sorts of verses and think to myself, "Well, we don't hold to the Jewish laws because of Jesus, and how great that we don't trust in that system to bring us salvation."

    When I read it as just "Law", though, it gets a little harder to say that. I don't follow Jewish cleanliness, dietary or sacrificial laws, but I have my own set. As much as I'd like to just be able to trust Christ and glory in my faith in Him, I have my own ideas about what a "good Christian" should be doing. I have my own set of laws that people (not just me) should abide by.

    But that's the easy way out. We're in a relationship, not a rulebook. I am praying today for God to open my eyes to the laws I've created to make sure I'm "in" and especially so that I can judge who is "out". Let us be a church that refuses this lazy path and who loves the world the way God loves it, because if he hadn't none of us would have lived up to any law put forth.

    By Blogger Wayj, at 13.1.06  

  • From everlasting to everlasting - His surpassing greatness is revealed to us in ways we don't expect or anticipate. My biggest obstacle is myself - my big, boisterous, bold self.

    He gave me a heart-check these past eight days. How wonderfully His Word brings everything back into focus - on Him and His Kingdom, as it should be.

    Father, thank You for being the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Thank you for revealing Yourself to us as we grow into Your likeness. Thank You that You are the God of intimacy and relationship - "...that there is nothing in our lives that will ever even come close to the greatness of knowing Jesus Christ, our Lord." Thank You for what You are doing, for what You are stirring within us, for the many ways You are going to be revealed and glorified through the Ring. Thank You for allowing us to be a part of Your plan. May we always seek You first, and may we live our lives in a manner worthy to be called Yours.

    For Your glory, Father. In Jesus' name, AMEN.

    Quote by Mac Dowell - Third Day, inspired, I'm sure, by Philippians 3:7-11

    By Blogger ann, at 14.1.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home